July 14, 2011

THIN AIR streeter: Lexsie Castro


Under the shade of Manitoba Hydro Place, Lexsie Castro sat at Second Cup sipping her coffee and enjoying A Piece of Cake.

This piece, however, was enjoyed not by a fork but by the eyes. It is a book titled A Piece of Cake: A Memoir, and it was written by Cupcake Brown.

What is your book about?

“It’s the autobiography of Cupcake Brown, a successful lawyer who shares her struggles as she was growing up,” said Castro. “Her mother passed away when she was young and she was sent to an abusive foster home, which eventually lead her to drugs, alcohol and prostitution.”


A candid shot of Castro enjoying her book.

Why did you decide to sit here and read?

As Castro neared the end of A Piece of Cake, she told a friend working nearby she would wait for him at the Second Cup on Edmonton Street and read until he was finished work. 

“I just miss sitting here and reading,” she said. “I used to come here all the time when I was in school about six years ago.”

Do you recommend this book?

“I would definitely recommend A Piece of Cake to people. I mean, it’s not for everyone, but I would recommend it to anyone who has struggled in life in general,” said Castro. “I can’t relate to her life myself, but it was amazing to read how someone can change and come out of a bad situation.”

Castro – who is more into reading fiction – had A Piece of Cake recommended to her by a friend.

“I thought it would be interesting and different from what I am used to reading because my friend said it was all about sex, drugs and alcohol.”

For Castro, A Piece of Cake has been one of the most inspiring books she has read.

“Reading her book made me realize that no matter what situation you’re in, or how old you are, or how hard you’ve hit rock bottom, it’s never too late.”

A new THIN AIR streeter takes place right on the streets of Winnipeg every week. Next time, we could be walking up to YOU and asking questions about your book selections. Be ready!

- Brian Bulos
-  

No comments:

Post a Comment